Senior Academic Advisor
The Department of Botany and Plant Pathology is seeking a Senior Academic Advisor. Academic Advisors promote an inclusive environment that challenges and supports students by providing meaningful opportunities for student learning, development and integration of curricular and co-curricular experiences. Advisors are dedicated to empowering students to be active responsible learners while guiding students to make well-informed decisions that lead to the achievement of students’ educational, career and life goals.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Create an open, respectful and inclusive environment by utilizing an equity-minded, student-centered practice that emphasizes mutual respect, dignity, self-awareness, and authenticity
- Center the student in an asset framed approach where advising differentiates educational guidance to meet students where they are and acknowledges the critical value of each students’ unique social capital
- Empower students to be active responsible learners and assist them in making well-informed decisions
- Guide students in course selection and the process for registering for courses
- Identify campus activities and programs opportunities related to students’ major
- Maintain a consistent pattern of contact and communications with assigned students
- Use data to provide timely outreach to students on their academic progress and conduct audits on student’s degree progress
- Assess when a student’s situation requires referral to campus resources
- Maintain and ensure confidentiality of student records
- Teach students about the university’s structure, systems, policies and practices
- Assist in development and implementation of department-level advisor training, serve on university-level committees, and serve as academic liaisons to a variety of departments and programs
- Coordinate major projects, programs, and initiatives that support the mission of their advising unite, their college and the university related to advising
What We’re Looking For:
- Master’s degree
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to collaborate with faculty, staff, students and parents
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and administer academic policy
- Must have excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task, establish priorities and resolve conflict
- Basic skills in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Nice to Have:
- Experience in student advising
- Knowledge of programs and majors at Purdue
What We’d Like You to Know:
- Learn more about Purdue’s benefits summary, https://bit.ly/3sHGbls
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A Background Check is required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
What You’ll Get in Return:
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package, https://www.purdue.edu/hr/benewell/index.php, including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.
Take Your Next Giant Leap
We never stop, we keep going, because Discovery is in our DNA, and we want you to discover a Career at Purdue University! Come work alongside a family of diverse culture with faculty, students, and staff who come together to become one, Boilermakers! Our greatest adventures are yet to come, and we want to include you.
Come take your Next Giant Leap and Discover your next career!
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer . All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.