Job Type: Staff – Regular Full Time Exempt
Location: Waterfront Plaza, HI
Hawaii Pacific University is
designated as an Alaskan Native and Native Hawaiian (ANNH) Serving Institution by the US Department of Education. As such, we strive for
accurate displays of the Hawaiian language in all our institutional materials. This includes the appropriate use of diacritical marks such
as the okina and kahako. Unfortunately, at times external vendors and other third-party technology integrations do not support the use of
these characters. Mahalo for your understanding.
academic advising services primarily to new, transfer, visiting, special status, and continuing undeclared undergraduate student
populations. Closely collaborates with other professional and faculty academic advisors, as well as other stakeholders within the university
community. Works with the Director to develop and implement a comprehensive training program for professional advisors and faculty advisors,
grounded in best practices and research in advising, retention, and student success. Provides ongoing support and training for professional
advisors and faculty advisors as needed. Plans and implements advising seminars and workshops, and participates in advising events and other
advising-related initiatives. Participates in assessment and strategic planning efforts for continuous improvement of academic advising
services. Supervises other professional academic advisors and support staff. Represents Academic Advising on university committees.
- Master’s Degree in any field from
an appropriately accredited university.
- Five years’ experience working with in academic support services, counseling, training,
customer service, or related field.
- Three years of professional work experience as an academic advisor, counselor, or related
- Master’s Degree with a specialization in student services,
counseling, education, or related field.
- Three years of professional work experience providing academic advising or counseling in a
- Supervisory experience.
- Previous experience working with a student information system (e.g.,
Ellucian Banner and Degree Works).
- Experience working with a student retention system (e.g., EAB
- Knowledge of best practices in academic advising, retention, and
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple competing
tasks and demands.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and develop productive and collegial relationships, collaboration, and
communication with university constituencies (i.e. staff, faculty, students, etc.) and build effective teams as needed.
- Ability to
communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing,
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United
States. Visa sponsorship and relocation allowance is not available for this position.
- Report to work obligations to support the
department and may require work during HPU’s winter break, if necessary.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and
comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- Able to work all shifts and extended hours
- Able to meet to work obligations
that may require work during HPU’s winter break, if necessary.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that
utilize excellent time and stress management skills.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Job
1. Academic Advising (75%)
- Utilize and familiarize students with technology tools and
other available resources (e.g., Banner, Degree Works, Academic Catalog) to assist students in degree planning
- Advise students
about registration policies and procedures
- Advise students about transfer credit policies and procedures
- Advise students
about graduation requirements (i.e., general education, lower, and upper division course requirements, overall credit requirements, and
- Communicate with students, both orally and in writing,
- Document students’ progression toward degree
- Prepare and process Electronic General Petitions for course substitutions and residency waivers
- Support students
who are underperforming academically (e.g., students on academic probation) by creating academic success plans and tracking their
- Advise students about academic suspension appeal policies and procedures
- Assist students with course registration,
- Utilize EAB Navigate to track student interactions and provide retention support.
2. Academic Advising
- Provide leadership, direction, and supervision for other professional academic advisors and support
- Collaborate with other student support services toward the common goal of student success, retention, and timely progress to
- Work with the Director to develop and implement training (i.e., seminars, workshops, etc.) for professional and faculty
- Provide training and serve as a resource for professional and faculty advisors
- Identify budgetary needs
- Represent academic advising on university committees and at university events
- Communicate effectively with students,
faculty, and staff
- Work with the Director to develop and implement systems for assessment and strategic planning for continuous
improvement of academic advising services.
- Champion the use of EAB Navigate amongst students and staff; providing learning and
training opportunities of Navigate features.
- Perform other duties, as assigned
3. Performs other related duties as
- Actively participates as an effective member of team by completing assigned duties, accepting additional
assignments or reassignments.
- Assists with seasonal peaks.
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties
or responsibilities which may be required for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any
Hawai’i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in
which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class covered by state and federal law. Hawai’i Pacific
University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed
on candidates selected for employment.