Requisition ID: req28053
Working Title: Mgr,Academic Advisement
Position Grade: 14
The College of Fine Arts Advisement
Center seeks qualified applicants for the position of Manager of Academic
Advisement. The Manager will oversee academic advisors for degrees in the
following departments/programs: Art, Film and Digital Arts, Music,
Interdisciplinary Arts, and Theatre & Dance while also advising students in
these subjects as well. This position provides comprehensive guidance on all
academic factors in CFA degrees for prospective, transfer, former and current
students. This position requires a highly motivated individual who possesses
strong interpersonal skills and the ability to multi-task. Successful
candidates will need to become knowledgeable of the degrees, but also possess the
ability to advise and navigate on intangibles such as auditions, juries and
critiques. All advisors in the College of Fine Arts will be working with
students from orientation through to graduation so they must understand not
only the student’s degree, but also have cursory knowledge of the different
university systems and resources impacting student degree completion.
As a member of CFA Leadership, the
Manager of Academic Advisement will report to the Dean of Fine Arts and represents
their unit at regular Leadership meetings. This position will also work
directly with UNM’s Office of Advising Strategies to ensure CFA’s Advisement
Center aligns with UNM’s overall advising mission and that all CFA students
receive advising that meets University standards.
- Representing the College of Fine Arts to the campus community; participates in task forces, special committees, and interdepartmental committees, some of which make decisions on policies and practices for academic advisement.
- Assessing students’ academic levels, attending to student academic inquiries, assisting in the resolution of individual academic problems, and advising on academic degrees.
- Analyzing and processing applications, transfer evaluations and transcripts for admission to the college and degree requirements.
- Developing and maintaining appropriate files and records.
- Coordinating and facilitating new student orientation and other outreach initiatives to promote advisement services, academic programs and undergraduate degrees; this includes participation and coordination of recruitment events on campus, branch campuses and in-state community colleges.
Bachelor’s degree; at least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
* 2-5 years
of UNM degree granting experience
* 2-5 years
of supervisory experience
* Academic or
personal background in the fine arts
* Effectively supervise and train a
busy team of staff and student employees.
* Strong knowledge of curriculum and administrative graduation
* Multi-task with ever-changing
* Analyze and interpret student
transcripts, associated records and documents
* Initiate and/or implement student
engagement, retention and completion strategies
* Strong communications skills, both
orally and written
* Work independently with a team
* Working in a high-traffic,
* Navigating UNM systems such as
LoboWeb, LoboMail, LoboAchieve and UNM Catalog
* Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
Campus: Main – Albuquerque, NM
Department: College of Fine Arts Administration (694A)
Employment Type: Staff
Staff Type: Regular – Full-Time
Pay: Monthly: $4,551.73 – $6,513.87
This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.
As a condition of employment, eligible employees working greater than .25 FTE as determined by the New Mexico Education Retirement Act must make mandatory retirement contributions. For more information, review the Benefits Eligibility at a Glance grid.
Background Check Required: Yes
For Best Consideration Date: 1/26/2024
Only applications submitted through
the official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this job
advertisement on a 3rd party site, please
visit UNMJobs to submit an application.
Please attach a resume and cover letter that addresses the preferred qualifications listed and your philosophy of advising. Selected candidates will be asked to supply 3 professional references.
The University of New Mexico is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Educator.