Rutgers Global is the university-wide international affairs office, serving all three campuses and RBHS. Rutgers Global promotes and advances Rutgers as a globally engaged institution through study and service-learning abroad programs, immigration processing and academic support services to international students and scholars, international partnership facilitation, and design and support of on-campus events that address global topics and create cross-cultural social networks.
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), one of the offices of Rutgers Global, serves more than 8000 international students and over 1400 international faculty and scholars, with numbers growing steadily each year. In addition, ISSS clients include diverse academic, research and administrative units of the University that enroll and/or employ international students and faculty and scholars.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an International Faculty and Scholar Advisor for the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. Reporting to the Executive Director for International Faculty and Scholar Services, the International Faculty and Scholar Services Adviser shares responsibility for administering Rutgers University’s J-1 Exchange Visitor Program and preparing and filing H-1B petitions.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Confers with and advises academic and research units on visa sponsorship regulations, policies and procedures and supports the Executive Director for Faculty and Scholar Services in other responsibilities related to the legal employment of foreign nationals at Rutgers.
- Serves as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J-1 program matters and to be able to advise on routine immigration matters and federal regulations pertaining to J-1, H-1B and other employment-based visa types.
- Participates in special projects involving Sunapsis, cross-cultural programming, Employment of Foreign Nationals workshops, Sunapsis trainings, and meets with campus partners as needed, on matters relating to international faculty and scholars.
- Participates as a full member of ISSS professional team in developing, administering, and evaluating ISSS’s overall operation and programming.
Position Status: Full Time
This position requires a fully on-site work arrangement.
Annual Minimum Salary: 58867.000
Annual Mid Range Salary: 73298.000
Annual Maximum Salary: 87729.000
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: URA-AFT Administrative
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Rutgers offers a comprehensive benefit program to eligible employees. For details, please go to http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview.
Rutgers also offers a benefit program to eligible full-time postdoctoral fellow students. For details, please go to https://finance.rutgers.edu/healthcare-risk/insurance/postdoctoral-health-insurance.
Terms of Appointment: Staff – 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in social sciences, foreign languages or other field directly related to working with international students or scholars, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates knowledge and an interest in international education, understanding of cross-cultural differences, scholar or student advising in a higher education institution as well as strong organizational and time management skills; good communication; and computer literacy.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience is needed to perform successfully in the job, preferably related to global education, higher education, and/or immigration-related field, with an emphasis on customer/client services.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The successful candidate must have personal or professional experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as well as familiarity with J-1 and H-1B requirements.
- Some additional graduate study.
- Two years of professional experience in a similar or related position in higher education or in an immigration law office.
- Experience working with J-1, H-1B, and/or Permanent Residence categories.
- Experience living and/or working abroad.
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
- Employment experience in a college or university environment.
- Experience working with Sunapsis (or other batch SEVIS program) or immigration case management software.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Standing, sitting, walking, talking or hearing.
- No special vision requirements.
- Must be able to lift or exert up to 25 pounds.
- To comply with federal law in performing necessary duties pertaining to J-1 matters, the incumbent must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident for certification as an “Alternate Responsible Officer” (U.S. Department of State). Candidate must respect and exercise full confidentiality as appropriate.
- Multiple vacancies.
- May require occasional travel to other Rutgers campuses (Newark or Camden) and some evening and weekend hours for special programs.
Posting Open Date: 08/24/2023
Regional Campus: Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus: College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)