Join our vibrant community of dedicated faculty and staff who work to create a
transformative educational experience rooted in faith, reason, and justice.
Eastern University is a nationally-recognized
Christian university enrolling approximately 7,000 students in a wide array of undergraduate, graduate, professional, and seminary programs.
The university’s main campus is located in St. Davids, PA, with many programs also offered online. Eastern’s core values of Faith, Reason,
and Justice are woven into all of its educational offerings. Through dynamic programs, a vibrant campus community, and meaningful service
learning opportunities, Eastern University is committed to providing students with transformative, accessible, and affordable
Administers and maintains the employee various insurance
programs, retirement plans and flexible and health savings plans enrollment, billing and processing, while working effectively with
insurance brokers, employees and plan carriers while insuring compliance with federal/state regulations, the plan documents, and university
policy. As well as administering an effective employee training, diversity and professional development
1. Coordinate all employee benefit programs and related
insurance products including:
medical and dental, life, flexible spending account, H.S.A., workers’ compensation, Tuition Remission,
Tuition Exchange, 403 (b) defined contribution plans, COBRA, Housing Allowance, FMLA, LOA’s, Employee Accommodations, ADA assessments, etc.
ensuring that all are handled appropriately as required.
2. Ensure program is compliant with federal, state, and local laws, including
3. Functions as the liaison between vendors, insurance carriers, and employees and advises employees on
eligibility, coverage, costs, and other benefit related matters regarding enrollment, termination, revisions, and additional carrier
4. Provides guidance in interpreting leave and disability policies and federal and state leave laws for employees
and supervisors. Provide instructions on appropriate procedures for time off requests.
5. Serves as the primary contact for phone,
email and mail communications with employees, management, brokers, and carriers regarding benefits and training.
6. Review and process
benefit forms and information. Maintain accurate information in the benefits portal, census, and carrier portals.
7. Stay up-to-date
and current on benefit and health and safety practices and recommend changes or modifications to existing policies as needed.
Complies and maintains current and accurate benefits records and documents for employees and the benefit providers.
9. Work closely
with payroll to ensure accurate benefit deductions have been established and payroll updates are provided for employees taking or returning
10. Audits and reconcile all invoices for the above benefit programs for accuracy and credits prior to submitting them to the
finance department for payment.
11. Periodically (no less than quarterly) reviews statements with the benefit’s portal and University
payroll and reconciles discrepancies as required to ensure billed costs and premium deductions are current, complete, and
12. Oversee and administer the benefits programs including but not limited to; Orientation and On-boarding program for new
hires and managers, Wellness and Safety Programs, OSHA reporting, Open Enrollment, 5500 reporting, etc. This includes preparing materials
and communications, counseling employees, processing documentation and assisting employees with benefit elections and changes when
13. Administer and oversee the Leave of Absence process and FMLA for faculty and staff.
14. Establish and implement an annual
training schedule to cover: Sexual Harassment, Discrimination, and Child Abuse Reporting. Diversity training should be provided at least
every two years. As well as provide annually at least four managers trainings on HR topics to assist with compliance and manager’s
15. Responds on real-time basis to employee requests for information or assistance regarding University-sponsored benefit
16. Manage and update benefit related materials and communication provided to the EU community and uploaded on the myEastern
17. Assist with ACA tracking and monitoring for 1095/1094 annual reporting.
18. Serve as the Title IX Deputy and attend
trainings as needed.
19. Oversee benefit billing and reconciliation for all carriers.
20. Oversee and manage the paid time off program
for employee leave accruals and adjustments.
21. Assists with special HR-sponsored events and serve on committee meetings that may be
22. Embodies values of caring and compassion justice and integrity, confidentiality, competence and affirmation.
to treat each member of the campus community with fairness dignity and respect, seeking a spirit of unity and harmony as we join together to
achieve our common mission.
24. Other duties and projects as
Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of 3+ years of related
experience in Human Resources, or the equivalent combination of education and work experience. Knowledge of principles and procedures for
personnel training and benefit administration. Knowledge of ERISA, Cafeteria Plan, and IRS regulations pertaining to; benefits, reporting,
and filing requirements. Good communication skills and customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards
for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and sound
Additional skills requirements:
- Strong skills in interpersonal & verbal
communication, writing, and organization.
- Ability to handle confidential information with great sensitivity
Ability to work with limited supervision and high motivation
- Highly organized, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Good reasoning abilities, sound judgment, and attention to detail is required.
- Resourcefulness, time
management skills, sensitivity, and good math skills are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meeting multiple and
sometimes conflicting deadlines required.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel) required with previous knowledge of a
benefit or HRIS portal preferred.
- Prior benefits, training, and disability experience required.
- Basic knowledge
of Section 125 cafeteria plans (flexible spending accounts) and 403(b) plans, including maintenance, recordkeeping, and reporting
requirements is required.
About Eastern University
Eastern University is a Christian university of the
arts and sciences that integrates faith, reason and justice for students in its undergraduate, graduate, seminary, urban, professional and
international programs.Applicants should have a Christian commitment compatible with its mission and be willing to support the
mission and vision of the university. The university complies with federal and state guidelines of nondiscrimination in
employment; members of protected classes encouraged to apply.
Standard University employees
are required to complete the background clearance process. Employment is contingent upon the successful results of an employment background
screening. The employment background screening may include but is not limited to your consumer credit history (for positions that work with
the university finances or alumni funds only), verification of education and professional credentials, criminal history, driving history,
residency, immigration status, performance, references, and other qualities pertinent to your qualifications for the following
Youth Clearances are required for positions with direct contact with children and essential personnel positions. Employees
working with or around minor age children are required to complete the youth clearance process which includes the following four child
2) FBI Criminal Record Check;
3) Pennsylvania Department of Human
Services Child Abuse History Clearance and;
4) Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check.
In accordance with state
laws, Act 73 of 2007, Act 153 of 2014, Act 168 (relating to the Child Protective Services Law), school employees of Eastern University who
will have “direct contact with children” must complete the background check process prior to employment. Results must be submitted within
ten days of receipt.
This description is intended to describe the general level and
nature of work performed by the person/people assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and
responsibilities of the person/people so assigned.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Eastern University is
committed to the principles of equal opportunity as defined under federal and state law, and does not discriminate unlawfully on the basis
of race, gender, sexual orientation, color, creed, disability, national/ethnic origin, age, disabled veteran/Vietnam-era, Genetic
Information and Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), or veteran status in its admission policy, program, or activities, educational policies,
scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University-administered programs, or employment practices and programs.
Eastern University is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. Members of protected class groups are encouraged to apply.