Work Type: Casual/Temporary
Title: Department Services
Department: Social Sciences
Under the direction of the department chairs, the Department Services Coordinator provides a wide range of
administrative support to academic departments to enhance the teaching, academic, and professional work of all department professors, and to
enhance the learning environment for students.
Reports to: Assistant to the Dean for Faculty and Curricular
- Provides assistance to the department chairs in handling departmental responsibilities
including data tracking; preparing special reports, mailings and working on special projects. Assists with comprehensive exams and as
requested assists with program review process, and program assessment.
- Provides administrative support to the department faculty.
Assists faculty with course related needs including copying, making appointments, room reservations, and audio-visual set up.
primary responsibility for monitoring department budgets. Ensures budget accuracy, resolves discrepancies, transfers funds, processes
invoices, identifies and charges appropriate accounts. Works with the Business Office regarding budgets, accounts payable, cashier needs,
and payroll issues. Provides budget reports to department chairs as needed. Meets regularly with department chairs to review fiscal
conditions of the department.
- Works with the department chair and faculty to address administrative problems and issues within the
department. Actively finds solutions, follows through to make sure issues are addressed and resolved.
- Assists the Dean’s Office in
coordinating new faculty office space. Assists new faculty with arrival on campus (office, keys, computers, phones, email, name plate,
- Hires, trains, and supervises student workers. Assists faculty in hiring other student positions including tutors, graders,
and lab assistants. Creates department specific information guide for student workers. Oversees timecards and payroll for all student
- Maintains department web page. Designs and prepares departmental brochures and information.
organizes, and publicizes department events including speakers, seminar series, discussion, panels, and social events. Secures locations,
arranges for refreshments, publicizes events, and makes travel accommodations for guests.
- Attends meetings and takes minutes as
requested by department chairs. Serves on committees as requested.
- Works with chair to correct any facilities or equipment
- Order and maintain inventory of office supplies. Coordinates maintenance of office equipment. Collect and distribute
department mail and paychecks in a timely manner. – (Essential)
- Acts as the information center contact for Fowler, providing
assistance to faculty, students, staff, parents, visitors and other constituents.
- Handles other duties and projects as assigned by
the department chairs or Office of the Dean.
- Three (3) years of administrative
assistant experience preferably in an academic environment.
- Strong knowledge of all general office and administrative practices and
- Computer proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, and email applications.
- Must possess excellent
interpersonal skills and be able to interact in a professional and helpful manner.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication
skills, and the ability to organize and prioritize work for multiple departments and individuals.
- Must be well organized and able to
handle a high volume of work with accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to handle
multiple projects and understand the shifting priorities of the department.
- Excellent customer service demeanor.
HIRING RANGE: $18.00/hr-$20.00/hr
Occidental College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.