Athletic Academic Advisor II
Prairie View A&M University
Proposed Minimum Salary
Prairie View, Texas
This position may pay more than the minimum proposed salary listed above, depending on experience and/or qualifications of the selected candidate.
The Athletic Academic Advisor II, under general supervision, recruits and advises undergraduate students concerning their career goals and academic requirements. Attends state, regional and national athletic academic advising professional meetings and specialized training sessions. Keeps the Office of Athletic Compliance abreast through regularly scheduled meetings.
- Provides academic advising for students grounded in tenets of practice outlined by the National Association of Academic Advising (NACADA) and appropriate academic advising and student development theories.
- Advises for course selection, registration, academic planning, career and educational goal-setting, appropriate resources, transitioning to the university, and retention issues. Advises in both group and individual settings with current and prospective students. Interprets State, University, and college policies and procedures. Maintains accurate records of student contacts.
- Monitors academic progress and implements intervention strategies for students who receive academic alerts or who need assistance in maintaining or improving their academic standing.
- Promotes student-learning, development, and personal growth to empower self-sufficiency. Provides students with proactive referrals to appropriate resources and timely reminders, and other targeted individual and group communications using email, texting, and social media.
- Manages/coordinates advising projects, events, outreach, and interventions for all students. Actively seeks to identify and address individual, organizational, and environmental conditions that foster or inhibit student success. Collaborates with members of the campus community in student retention initiatives. Seeks opportunities to serve and contribute on appropriate committees and task forces across campus to advocate for students. Conducts research on topics within the field of academic advising and organizes activities for professional development. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field.
- Three years of related experience in athletic advising.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Knowledge of student information systems, degree planning, and degree audits.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent written communication, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends. Travel required.
Job Posting Close Date: Required Attachments:
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
Application Submission Guidelines:
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above “Required Attachments” section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or email@example.com should you need assistance with the online application process.
Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.