Job Number: JR000495
Compensation Type: Salaried
The Academic Advisor guides students
in developing and clarifying academic and career goals, including academic planning, career planning, degree completion, academic student
support, and engagement with the College experience. The Advisor provides proactive consultation, coaching, and intervention and
collaborates with faculty, staff, campus, and community partners to promote and support student success. In addition, the Advisor is
knowledgeable and works with internal and external partners to assist students with transfer, as needed. This position interprets
information, guidelines, and procedures as established by policy and regulations.
- Provides Academic
Advising, Career Planning, and Coaching.
- Explains applicable college processes and procedures to students.
- Partners with
faculty and staff across campus to ensure students have the support and resources needed throughout their College experience. Assists
special student populations appropriately.
- Advises students in person, via phone, e-mail, virtual, video, or other delivery
formats, as needed.
- Assists students experiencing academic difficulties to develop a plan of action to promote academic
- Coordinates development of academic plan for degree and goal completion. Assists prospective, current, and returning
- Facilitates and assists with campus events, orientations, workshops, fairs, etc.
- Delivers case management within
advising and consistent implementation and execution of high-impact community college advising practices.
- Partners with the
financial aid office to assist students regarding financial access, wellness, literacy, and economic mobility and connect students to
programs to increase awareness.
- Participates in the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
- Reviews data and
reports to monitor, assess, and determine areas of opportunity to engage and better serve students.
- Develops and clarifies student
educational goals by conducting interviews, analyzing student needs, and reviewing applicable student data, including transcripts and other
Holistic Student Support
- Proactively provides direct support services in person, over the phone, and
- Partners with faculty and staff from other College departments to address student needs.
- Timely responds to
email inquiries and follows up on additional items needed.
- Guides students through issues, including paperwork processing,
verifying qualifiers, and approving or denying appeals.
- Provides direct student and applicant service, counseling students
in-person, virtual, and via telephone.
- Explains educational program options and assists students with developing a plan for degree
and goal completion.
- Assists students experiencing academic difficulty (warning, probation, and academic dismissal) to develop a
plan of action to promote academic and career success and conduct appropriate academic counseling intervention.
- Provides career
coaching assistance by helping students identify in-demand careers that match their values, interests, skills, and personality, and assists
students in developing educational and career goals.
- Maintains regular communication and working relationships with fellow advisors
and other areas of the College, stays informed of activities, and works collaboratively to provide holistic support and achieve
institutional priorities. Works with web resources, social media, and print materials to support academic and student support
- Completes and maintains required documentation (using technology and systems),
including early alerts, electronic case management tools, case notes, evaluation, test results, attendance, status reports, and other
confidential student records to document support provided.
- Maintains confidentiality of student files and other sensitive subject
- Completes and maintains required documentation.
- Keeps accurate records.
- Maintains confidentiality of
student files and other sensitive subject matter.
- Collects and maintains student contact for reporting
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Fosters and maintains a safe environment of respect and inclusion for faculty,
staff, students, and community members.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- One -
Three (1-3) years of experience in student advising
- State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License or demonstrable ability to gain access to
*An appropriate combination of education, training, coursework, and experience may qualify a
Hybrid: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm
CSCC has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description does not represent in
any way a contract of employment.
Full Time/Part Time:
In order to ensure your application is
complete, you must complete the following:
- Please ensure you have all the necessary documents available when starting the application
process. For all faculty positions (Instructor, Annually Contracted Faculty, and Adjunct), you will need to upload an unofficial copy of
your transcript when completing your aplication.
- Prior to submitting your application, please review and update (if necessary)
the information in your candidate profile as it will transfer to your application.
If you are a current employee of Columbus
State Community College, please log in to Workday to use the internal application process.
Thank you for your interest in
positions at Columbus State Community College. Once you have applied, the most updated information on the status of your application can be
found by visiting your Candidate Home. Please view your submitted applications by logging in and reviewing your status.
Columbus State Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.