This position is an advisor in the Department’s Undergraduate Studies Office serving students in all
majors and minors within the department (Mathematics, Mathematical Computer Science, Statistics and Teaching of Mathematics) as well as
students in the Data Science major.
It is the role of the advisors in this unit to ensure in the continuum from admission through
graduation, students’ individual educational needs are met while maintaining the academic standards established by the faculty of the
department and University. As a primary source of information, the academic advisors promote and facilitate excellence through academic
Duties & Responsibilities
- Engages in undergraduate student advising with current and
incoming undergraduate students, evaluating students’ degree progress/eligibility, assisting with course approvals, developmental and
transactional advising, educating and providing guidance concerning degree requirements, programs, academic and professional planning.
- Evaluates undergraduate students’ progress in their respective programs, evaluating degree requirements, counseling and providing
related guidance and direction. Educates students regarding College, University and Campus policies and procedures, along with course
registration and selection. Interprets and enforces academic policies.
- Guides students in navigating the petition process for
exceptions to academic policies
- Provides students and prospective with information regarding available College and University
resources and opportunities. Educates and informs prospective students and their family/friends about degree programs and opportunities to
aid in the recruitment of new students. Attend recruiting events.
- Intervenes and refers students to resources throughout the
University community as may be needed. Exercises professional discretion and judgment to troubleshoot issues and problems that may
- Documents pertinent and required information related to interactions with students. Maintains and updates related databases
as needed, to ensure that student records accurately reflect degree progress and academic status.
- Assesses transfer courses for
equivalency to UIC courses and requirements, updating student records to reflect determined equivalency.
- Participates on committees
and/or teams as needed and/or assigned.
- Assists in the facilitation training and development of new advisors as may be needed.
- Proctor exams on occasions when they are administered outside of normal schedule.
- Perform other related duties and participate
in special projects as assigned.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required in the area of education, liberal arts and sciences,
business, or a related field.
- Prior and proven experience in undergraduate academic advising or other related field in an
institution of higher education
- Master’s Degree preferred in education,
student affairs, liberal arts and sciences, or a related field.
- Preference for background in STEM fields
- Familiarity with
student development theory and FERPA are preferred.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
The university provides accommodations to applicants and employees. Request an Accommodation