Are you looking for the best Smith machine for your home gym? Practical new features, impressive build quality, and increased weight limits breathe fresh air into the long-established Smith machine.
Most people are at a loss when searching for a suitable Smith machine for their home gym. There are so many different variants on the market that it can be difficult to know where to begin.
After many hours of research and testing, the SET FOR SET team has come to an agreement on the best Smith machines for home gyms. “Smith machines” being plural because there are various top options depending on budget, purpose, and buying preference.
We carefully decided on the top-rated Smith machines by evaluating criteria such as dimensions, weight capacity, functionality, and included attachments. Our assessment encompassed a range of budgets while ensuring the machine’s quality at each price point. To cater to various preferences, we featured both top Amazon Smith machine choices and direct-to-brand options. Additionally, we took into account the reputation of the manufacturer and user reviews during the selection process.
7 Best Smith Machines for Home Gyms
- Best Smith Machine Overall: Force USA G3
- Best Budget Smith Machine: Powerline Smith Machine
- Best Premium Smith Machine: Force USA G20
- Best Smith Machine On Amazon: Marcy Pro Smith Machine
- Best Budget Smith Machine On Amazon: Deltech Fitness Smith Machine
- Best Smith Machine For Small Spaces: Force USA G6
- Best Smith Machine With Power Rack: Force USA G9
1. Overall Best Smith Machine: Force USA G3
The Force USA G3 is the best Smith machine for a home gym because it fits into any space and offers a wide range of exercises. Nevertheless, its quality is that of a commercial Smith machine.
It’s also extremely versatile. You can do squats, bench presses, shoulder presses, curls, and more with this one machine.
We’ve used countless Smith machines in our workouts from the super-expensive commercial options to the bottom of the barrel Amazon models. In our experience the Force USA G3 marries the best of both worlds with its excellent functionality combined with a reasonable price tag.
This fantastic machine combines a power rack, Smith machine, and a cable system into one compact and easy-to-use unit. The Force USA G3 is perfect for those who are just getting started with weight lifting, as it provides all you need to get a great workout in the comfort of your own home.
But don’t let the Force USA G3 entry-level status fool you – this machine is built to last, with heavy-duty construction and a robust design that can accommodate even the most intense workouts.
- Complete Workout: It has a plate-loaded 5-In-1 strength training system which allows you to have a complete workout
- Multiple Options: With more than 75 exercises to choose from, this machine can help you achieve any fitness goal.
- Resistance Power: The 2:1 cable pulley ratio provides more resistance than other machines.
- High-Quality Materials: Commercial grade J-Hooks, safety clips, or straps attach your weights. This high-quality material will last even longer than expected thanks to its durability designed into every detail.
- Compact: The Force USA Smith Machine is a compact design that will not take much space. This home gym is a perfect fit for those with limited space.
- Without Weights and Benches: You need to arrange your weight bench and weights.
The Force USA G3 All-In-One Trainer is the perfect entry level All-In-One Trainer. Combines apower rack, functional trainer, Smith machine, chin up station, and core trainer…
Most people think you need to spend a lot of money to get a solid Smith machine for your home gym. But this isn’t true! The Powerline Smith Machine is one of the best Smith machines if you’re on a budget that still offers the quality and features you expect from a Smith machine.
This machine is heavy-duty construction and features four 2″ x 2″ 12 gauge steel pillars to support your most vigorous workout sessions. Additionally, the patented Super-Glide carriage provides a safe and controlled movement, making it the perfect choice for your fitness needs.
This machine comes loaded with high-tech features like the dual-lock Safety Spotter Catch System. You’ll never have to worry about the bar pinning you in during a max-out situation with this safety feature. You can get a full body workout completed in the comfort of your home with this basic Smith machine.
- Value: This machine comes with unbeatable value, making it the perfect choice for anyone looking to get in shape.
- Heavy-Duty Adjustable Safeties: This challenging and durable machine is built to last, with heavy-duty adjustable safeties and jumbo pop pins that make it easy to use and safe. With its straight-line stability, you can be sure that you’re getting a safe and effective workout.
- Warranty: It comes with a 10-year warranty, so you can be sure that it will withstand any wear and tear.
- Wide Variety of Workouts: With this machine, you can perform various exercises such as squats, presses, rows, and more. The Powerline Smith machine also features a weight capacity of 600 pounds so that you can challenge yourself.
- Required Investment in Other Accessories: Olympic weights, collars and adapter sleeves are not included. No pulley system included.
PSM144X – The Smith Machine is a combination of Free Weight Power, Guided Movement, and Ultimate Safety, with Lockouts and Spotter arms included. Add Lat station, Pec station and adjustable bench for a complete…
3. Best Premium Smith Machine: Force USA G20
The Force USA G20 Smith Machine eases your quest to start when it comes to weight lifting. With the Force USA G20, you can turn any room into your fitness studio.
This all-in-one machine offers over 400 exercises to help you sculpt and tone your body. The G20 is perfect for anyone looking to get in shape, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced athlete. This is the best Smith machine if money is no object.
The Force USA G20 comes with three pull-up bars, band peg compatibility, and a front rack, perfect for bench presses and squats. With this machine, you’ll get a fantastic workout in no time at all.
This premium machine is built to withstand years of heavy weight lifting and features convenient weight plate storage hooks that keep your attachments within easy reach. The built-in roller J-Hooks make it easy to center your barbell while protecting it from damage.
With 1:1 providing resistance around 100 lb and several safety features, the G20 is perfect for serious lifters.
- Spotter Platform: The G20 comes standard with our Spotter Platform, allowing you to work out safely and confidently, knowing someone has your back.
- Versatility: The G20 is a complete home gym that includes a Smith machine, a suspension trainer stirrup, and a power rack. It allows you to perform various exercises, both with free weights and with resistance bands or a heavy bag.
- 51 Different Adjustments: With its fully adjustable features like commercial grade roller J-Hooks, Monolift, and Safeties, you can set it up for various exercises, such as chest presses, shoulder presses, or squats.
- Durability: This premium quality Smith Machine is constructed of 11 gauge steel, making it incredibly sturdy and durable.
- Olympic Weight Plates: You need to buy Olympic weight plates as they are not included in the set.
- Expensive: This isn’t a budget friendly option for most.
Over 400 Exercises in One Compact System! Introducing the Force USA G20 All-In-One Trainer—The ultimate All-In-One trainer that combines an entire commercial gym into a single power rack footprint that can still fit in any room with standard…
This piece of gym equipment is designed with a Smith machine carriage that moves on linear bearings for smooth and consistent motion. So there’ll be no fear of getting hurt or stuck in a compromising position again.
Look no further than the Marcy Workout Machine for a comprehensive and versatile workout. The MD-9010G combines three different types of strength-building machines into one compact design, allowing you to perform over 100 club-quality exercises. Its features remain a valuable source to build muscle and tone the body, as it offers a wide range of motion and resistance levels.
With 2000 lb. cable strength, you can perform a wide range of exercises to target all muscle groups. The preacher curl station is ideal for isolating your biceps, while the leg developer station allows you to work your quads, hamstrings, and glutes.
- Dual-Function Leg Developer: It is perfect for working those pesky muscles that are hard to target with the dual-function leg developer. Equipped with six oversize rocker pads and a row/curl bar, you can be sure to maintain proper form during your workouts for maximum effect.
- Heavy-Duty Steel Frame: This thing is built to last through even the most grueling workout sessions. Engineered to be durable and built to last, you can be sure that it will stand up to years of use.
- Cable Strength: Utilizing sturdy aircraft cable with a tensile strength of 2,000 lb., making it perfect for even the most hardcore weightlifters
- Olympic Weight Plates: You need to buy Olympic weight plates as they are not included in the set.
- Pull-up Bars: This machine doesn’t offer a pull up bar.
This home gym system is made with heavy-duty steel frame reinforced with durable powder coated finish. It utilizes sturdy aircraft cable…
The Deltech Fitness DF4900 Smith Machine is perfect for those looking for a durable and reliable machine on a budget. This machine is built to last with heavy-duty steel construction and a high weight capacity of 700 lb.
The smooth operation and excellent quality create a confidence-inspiring workout experience perfect for your home gym. The affordable price tag might fool you, but the Deltech Fitness DF4900 Smith Machine is a high-quality unit that will help you reach your fitness goals.
The DF4900 glides on four precision linear roller bearings on polished steel bars. It gives you the feel of free weights while still providing the safety and stability of a Smith machine.
This standard Smith machine features chrome-plated bar hook rods and weight holders, ensuring a smooth, reliable workout every time. With a wide range of Safety Stopper settings and a maximum weight capacity of 700lb, the Deltech Fitness Smith Machine is ideal for beginners and experienced lifters alike. Plus you get a knurled grip pull up bar that allows you to hit those back muscles!
- Chrome-Plated Bars: This smith machine is built to last with a chrome-plated bar and weight holders.
- Smooth Movement: The linear bearing design ensures a smooth movement during your workout.
- Budget-Friendly: The Deltech Fitness DF4900 Smith Machine is a budget-friendly option that still offers the quality and features you need in a smith machine.
- No Weights: You need to invest in buying Olympic plates separately.
- No Cables: No pulley system included..
This no frills Smith machine has precision linear roller bearings with a 58 lb Olympic Bar with 700 lb. capacity…
6. Best Smith Machine For Small Spaces: Force USA G6
You can get the maximum benefit of your workout with the Force USA G6 All-In-One Trainer. This versatile and durable trainer has everything you need to build muscle, tone your body, and improve overall fitness.
The G6 is perfect for small spaces, as it takes up the same footprint as a power rack. This machine will give you the best workout possible with its many features and functions.
This is a complete system that will let you train every muscle in your body. The 9-in-1 system provides a comprehensive workout for your whole body.
The pin and plate-loaded weights are perfect for working out your arms and shoulders. The 2x 220 lb stack weights are great for working out your legs and back. And the entire system is simple to set up and use.
This trainer comes with a dip station to work on your upper body while still getting a great workout. The Multi-Grip Dip Handle attachments provide different options for you to choose from, so you can find the perfect grip for your workout.
This trainer is also equipped with a weight sled, so you can add resistance to your workout and challenge yourself.
- Compact Design: This Smith Machine is designed with a compact footprint, perfect for tight spaces.
- 150+ Exercises: This unique piece of equipment offers 150+ exercises in one complete system, making it perfect for those who want a full-body workout but don’t have a lot of space.
- Dip Station: This trainer comes with a dip station to work on your upper body. The multi-grip dip handle attachments provide different options for you to choose from, so you can customize your workout.
- No Bench or Barbell: This trainer does not come with benches and barbell.
The Force USA G6 All-In-One Trainer is the original pin and plate loaded all-in-one trainer. Combines a power rack, functional trainer, Smith machine, dip station, chin up station, core trainer, suspension trainer, leg press…
7. Best Smith Machine With Power Rack: Force USA G9
The Force USA G9 is a versatile machine that can be used with either one or two cables. When using both cables, the pulley ratio is 1:1, meaning that the resistance is equal to the weight of the load.
However, when using only one cable, the pulley ratio is 2:1, meaning that the resistance is only half of the weight of the load. This makes the G9 ideal for users who want to vary their workouts and challenge themselves with different resistance levels. Whether you’re a fan of a light workout or a heavy one, the G9 has you covered.
The G9 includes an attachment for the vertical leg press station, dip station, and low row station. With so many options, you can target every muscle group for a complete workout.
- Power Rack: It is perfect for both benching and squatting and comes with adjustable commercial grade J-Hooks that allow you to adjust heights vertically. These J-Hooks are designed to handle heavy loads while also protecting your barbell.
- 250+ Exercises: With over 250 exercises to choose from, you can tone and sculpt your entire body.
- Counterbalanced Smith Machine: This Smith machine is counterbalanced, so it cancels out the bar’s weight. That means you can focus on lifting the correct weight of the plates without any extra calculations.
- Expensive: The Force USA G9 is a high-end piece of equipment that might break the bank.
Introducing the Force USA G9 All-In-One Trainer—The Ultimate plate loaded all-in-one trainer. The Force USA G9 All-In-One Trainer combines a power rack, functional trainer, smith machine, dip station, chin up station, core trainer, low row…
Update (July 22, 2023): We had time to thoroughly test out the Titan Fitness Smith Machine, and it definitely deserves a very honorable mention on this list of top Smith machines.
The machine is easy to assemble, and once it’s up, you know it’s going to last a long time. Titan Fitness’ Smith machine is top notch quality. It’s a pure Smith machine, without any bells and whistles; what you would expect to see in a commercial gym. So, if that’s what you are looking for, you can’t go wrong with Titan, unless you want to use weights over 600llbs, as that’s its recommended weight limit.
It’s not cheap, however. It’s currently listed for $1,739.99, or optionally, monthly payments.
The 7 Top-Rated Smith Machines Comparison Table
In the table below you can see how the best Smith machines match up to each other over a range of criteria.
J-Hooks, clips, Spotter arms,
Lat pulldown bar
Straps and more
10 Years Home Warranty
14 lockout positions
Four 2” x 2” 12 ga. Steel pillars
Safety Spotter Catch System
1” dia bar
1 x Multi-grip Chin-up Bar
2 x Globe-grip Chin-up Bars1 x Multi-grip Chin-up Bar
2 x Globe-grip Chin-up Bars
2 x 289 lb Weight Stacks.
2 Single Handles
1-Year Full Warranty
200 lb weight stack attachment
Four linear ball bearings.
Stell guide bars
2 x Olympic Lock Collars
4 x Band Pegs
6 x Weight Plate Holders
6 x Olympic Spring Clips
2 x Extension Chains
4 x Spring Snap Clips
2 x Olympic Lock Collars
6 x Weight Plate Holders
6 x Olympic Spring Clips
1 x Extension Chain
2 x Spring Snap Clips
Benefits of Smith Machines
Smith machines often are scoffed at by those who don’t who’ve never used them or don’t know how to use them properly. These machines can provide an extra edge to your workouts by eliminating the need for stabilizing muscles to play a larger role when performing various exercises. Let’s have a look at some common benefits of Smith machines.
1. Safe and Effective
The Smith machine has become a popular piece of equipment for workouts. And it’s no wonder why – with its inbuilt safety features, this machine is ideal for those who want to work out without a spotter. Unlike free weights you don’t have to have a spotter when using them which makes Smith machines good for those working out alone at home.
2. Offers Various Exercises Options
Add variety to your workout routine with the Smith machine. The wide range of weight options and set choices help you in targeting any muscle group you want to develop. And because the Smith machine allows you to vary your exercises, you can avoid the dreaded plateauing effect.
So, add some spice to your workout with Smith machine. It’s the perfect tool for anyone looking to take their fitness to the next level.
Visiting the gym is not always the most convenient or comfortable option. That’s where the Smith machine comes in. The Smith machine can be used to perform various exercises, making it an excellent option for people who want to work out at home.
The machine is also relatively compact, making it easy to store in a small space. The machine is also straightforward to use, which makes it an excellent option for people who are short on time.
Smith Machine vs Squat Rack
Many people in the weight training space tend to compare these two pieces of gym equipment and the Smith machine often catches a lot of flak as not being a good option but in certain cases the Smith machine is actually a better choice. Let’s look at these common pieces of home gym equipment below to see the similarities and differences
The Smith Machine is training equipment that allows you to perform various exercises, including squats and presses, with a fixed range of motion. The barbell runs along a steel rail, ensuring a smooth and consistent movement pattern.
Plus, the slight angle of the Smith machine provides an additional challenge for your muscles. Whether a beginner or a seasoned athlete, the Smith Machine is a great way to add volume or isolate your muscles while weight training.
Smith machines a great for isolating muscles during your workouts that’s why you’ll see the top bodybuilders in commercial gyms using this exercise equipment to target and exhaust the body part they’re working on whether it its bench press or squats.
When it comes to working out with free weights, a squat rack is an essential piece of equipment. There are a few different types of squat racks on the market, but they are all built for the same primary purpose: to provide a safe and sturdy base for performing various exercises with a barbell.
The most common exercises performed with a squat rack are squats and presses, but you can also use them for pull-ups, lunges, and any other exercise that involves lifting a barbell.
What to Look for When Buying A Smith Machine for Home Gym:
You need to exercise regularly to keep your body fit. For this purpose, many people buy gym machines and install them in their homes. Home gym ideas such as adding a Smith machine saves both time and money.
However, before making such a purchase, one must be very careful and consider various factors such as the size of the machine, the build quality, and the price.
You must watch out for a few factors before buying a Smith machine.
For anyone looking to buy a home gym, space will probably be a significant factor in the decision. It’s essential to know the dimensions of the Smith machine you’re looking at before you make your purchase. This way, you can be sure it will fit nicely into your home and won’t be an eyesore.
Luckily, Smith machine offers a variety of training machines, so there’s bound to be one just right for you. So before you start shopping, get the measurements twice and buy the perfect gym for your home.
2. Build Quality
Having a Smith machine can be a real game-changer when you want to work out in the comfort of your home. However, before you invest in a Smith machine for your home gym, it is vital to understand the product’s build quality.
Look for heavy duty steel frame machines that offer a good warranty. If a manufacturer offers 10 plus years of a warranty you can pretty much guarantee that it’s a quality piece of equipment.
This information will help you get a long-lasting and durable Smith machine, but it will also make your choice easier by understanding the exercises you can perform with it. With this knowledge in hand, you’ll be able to get the most out of your training equipment and reach your fitness goals.
Smith machines are a popular choice for home gyms because they are relatively affordable and offer various features. But before you commit to a purchase, be sure to compare prices to find the best deal. You can find the perfect Smith machine for your home gym that suits your needs and budget with a little effort.
4. Difficulty of Assembly
Before you run out and buy a Smith machine for your home gym, it is crucial to find a machine with easy assembly instructions.
Product research would help you decide whether you can assemble it without help or require professional assistance. While Smith machines are relatively simple to put together, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
It’s important to note that many manufacturers offer extra add-ons that you can purchase so they send a professional to get your system setup.
If you want to make the most of your workouts, you need to get a suitable machine with market research. Not all Smith machines are created equal, and it’s crucial to find one that has the features you need and that is specially designed for your type of workout. It may seem like a lot of work, but it’s worth it to consider how much use you’ll get out of your new machine.
Just a few options you have at your fingertips of the gym machines covered above include:
- Power rack
- Chin up bar
- Cable machine
- Preacher curl machine
- Seated dip machine
Smith machines that come with pulley systems or other attachments will allow for a wide range of exercises but if you just want to hit the big compound movements like bench press and squats then a basic machine should have you covered.
6. Online Ratings
With many training equipment in the market, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. That’s why checking the ratings and reviews before making a purchase is always a good idea. By reading what others have said about a product, you can get a clearer insight into its quality and performance.
Smith Machine FAQ:
Is It Worth Buying A Smith Machine?
Yes! The right Smith machine is a versatile and effective piece of equipment that offers a wide range of exercise options. It is much safer than free weights since the bar is attached to the frame and can’t slip or drop. The compact design makes it perfect for small home or garage gyms.
Free weight exercises require more stabilization from smaller muscles whereas Smith machines can allow for a safe method to exhaust the muscles during weight training exercises.
What Is The Best Functional Trainer With Smith Machine?
With over 75 exercises available, the Force USA G3 is perfect for anyone looking for a versatile and effective functional trainer. Not all Smith machines come with the same versatility that the Force USA G3 offers. With this Smith machine system, you can hit all your muscle groups to get a killer full body workout.
Can You Deadlift On A Smith Machine?
Yes, you can deadlift on a Smith machine. Smith machines can be an excellent tool for safely performing this exercise. With the Smith machine, you can adjust the weight to your desired level and easily attach it to the bar. It allows you to perform the deadlift with proper form without worrying about losing control of the weight. Check out a post we wrote about the topic Can You Deadlift On A Smith Machine?
Is Benching On A Smith Machine Easier?
Smith machines help stabilize the weight for you, which makes it easier to lift as the bar path is fixed. It also allows you to use a narrower range of motion, which can be helpful if you’re just starting. However, because the Smith machine doesn’t allow for natural movement, it’s not as effective as the regular bench press when working your chest muscles.
On the upside, Smith machines are perfect for sets going to failure or for isolating the pecs while performing bench press which is why you’ll see many bodybuilders incorporate them into their workouts.
For more in depth look, check out our post Smith Machine Bench Press.
What’s A Good Price for a Squat Rack?
You can purchase a good quality squat rack for around the $500 range. Of course the are cheaper and more expensive options but for around that price you can get a decent rack.
What’s the Best Power Rack for Low Ceilings?
At just over 83.5” tall, theFitness Reality Squat Rack Power Cageis the best rack for low ceilings (8’ or lower), with the pull-up bar. This rack is also very budget friendly.
Can You Bench Press Using a Squat Rack?
If you have a barbell and weight plates, you can bench press using a squat rack. Look for racks with Westside hole spacing for the best experience.
Can You Deadlift with a Squat Rack?
Yes, deadlifting with a squat rack is possible! traditional deadlifts start with the weight on the floor so using a squat rack allows you to work on the top half of the movement because you can start from an elevated positionThe important thing is to ensure the bar is adequately secured on the safety bars before beginning your lift.
Can You Build Muscle on a Smith Machine?
Smith machines offer several benefits that make it an excellent choice for adding size and strength. Using Smith machines you can increase the time under tension on your muscles in a safe way for more potential muscle gains. If you want to build muscle on a Smith machine then look to the 11 Smith Machine Exercises You Should Be Doing.
The Smith machines perfect for a home gym are affordable, compact, and offer a variety of premium features that have won over the hearts of many gym enthusiasts.
The Smith machines’ dimensions range from 48” L x 24” W x 76” H to 63.5 L x 27.25 W x 83 H inches, making them perfect for any home gym setup – regardless of size constraints. In addition, these machines serve as all-in-one training devices, allowing users to perform squats, bench presses, shoulder presses, and more.
Many people who’ve purchased Smith machines note that these are one of the best investments they’ve ever made regarding fitness equipment. You may continue developing your home gym but the Smith will always find its use in a workout routine.
Recap of the Best Home Gym Smith Machines:
- Best Smith Machine Overall:Force USA G3
- Best Budget Smith Machine:Powerline Smith Machine
- Best Premium Smith Machine:Force USA G20
- Best Smith Machine On Amazon:Marcy Pro Smith Machine
- Best Budget Smith Machine On Amazon:Deltech Fitness Smith Machine
- Best Smith Machine For Small Spaces:Force USA G6
- Best Smith Machine With Power Rack:Force USA G9
- Very Honorable Mention (Top Quality & Just a Smith Machine): Titan Fitness Smith Machine
We hope that you found this post helpful in your quest for the perfect Smith machine for your weight training.
If you end up getting a smith machine, be sure to check out the 11 best smith machine exercises so you can put it to good use!
#Smith #Machines #Home #Gyms