Based in the Quebec province of Canada, McGill University is a research-based university, ranked among the best universities in Canada. Every year thousands of international students from around 150 countries in the world. It has more than 400 courses that are offered to UG, PG and Research students. Along with that, McGill University offers 5 types of degrees in Computer Science to students. Many students choose Computer Science at McGill University as it is one of the best research and teaching centres for Computer Science in Canada. If you are looking to study in Canada, then you are in the right place. Read the whole blog to know about the courses offered in Computer Science at McGill University.
|University Name||McGill University|
|Location||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|QS World University Rankings 2022||#27|
|English Language Tests||IELTS, TOEFL iBT|
Computer Science at McGill University: Overview
The School of Computer Science is one of Canada’s major computer science teaching and research institutions. The University of McGill also provides many M.Sc. programmes as well as a PhD programme, all of which require coursework and research.
Students in the basic M.Sc. programmes must select between a thesis and a non-thesis alternative, which needs a project. Both the PhD and M.Sc. programmes include a bioinformatics option.
Students are frequently supported by their adviser’s research funds; for scholarship students, this usually takes the form of a “top-up” to the scholarship. The School’s research includes a wide range of topics, including:
- Algorithms, combinatorial optimisation, computational geometry, cryptography, graph theory, logic and computation, programming languages, quantum computing, computation theory, and scientific computing are all examples of theory.
- Compilers, computer games, distributed systems, embedded and real-time systems, modelling and simulations, networks, and software engineering are examples of systems.
- Bioinformatics, machine learning, robotics, computer animation, graphics, and vision are some examples of applications.
Why Study Computer Science at McGill University?
Here are some of the popular reasons why International Students choose to study Computer Science at McGill University.
- McGill University is not only one of the top research universities in Canada but also one of the only Canadian Universities to rank among the Top 40 universities in the world (based on prestigious QS World University rankings).
- McGill University has professors that have received most of the top awards in Computer Science. So you’ll get a chance to get taught by top-notch professionals.
- Many alumni of McGill University have become top research and industry leaders.
- A graduate degree in computer science from McGill University is recognized as proof of excellence in the industrial and academic fields.
- McGill Computer Science currently stands #2 in Canada for its excellent research funding
McGill offers some of the best Computer Science programs for both undergraduate and postgraduate candidates. Here is a detailed list of them.
The typical Major program offered by the School of Computer Science is given below. It gives a wide introduction to computer science fundamentals as well as enough opportunities to gain in-depth knowledge of numerous sub-disciplines.
Its credit requirements, on the other hand, allow students to choose a second minor. Students may earn a minimum of 60 credits or a maximum of 63 credits depending on whether or not they are excused from COMP 202.
Required Courses (33 credits)
- COMP 202 Foundations of Programming (3 credits) *
- COMP 206 Introduction to Software Systems (3 credits)
- COMP 250 Introduction to Computer Science (3 credits)
- COMP 251 Algorithms and Data Structures (3 credits)
- COMP 273 Introduction to Computer Systems (3 credits)
- COMP 302 Programming Languages and Paradigms (3 credits)
- COMP 303 Software Design (3 credits)
- COMP 310 Operating Systems (3 credits)
- MATH 222 Calculus 3 (3 credits)
- MATH 223 Linear Algebra (3 credits)
- MATH 240 Discrete Structures (3 credits)
Relevant Read: The Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University
To pursue any of the above-mentioned programs in Computer Science from McGill University, you must be able to meet the admission requirements set by McGill University. Mentioned below are the eligibility requirements for taking admission:
Make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements before applying for admission to McGill University:
- The student has got a minimum of 75% – 85% in the following required prerequisites in their Class XI and XII:
- Chemistry or Physics
- The student must have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a CGPA of 3.0 out of 4 or a GPA of 3.3 out of 4 in the last 2 years of their bachelor’s study in a related subject.
- Bachelor’s Degree must have been obtained from institutions/universities with a NAAC rating of A or internationally equivalent
- The student must have completed an Undergraduate degree with first division in a relevant field from an accredited institution.
- A Postgraduate Degree in a relevant field with first division from an accredited university.
- The students must submit a GRE Score of 309 or above.
English Language Requirements
|BSc Computer Science||6.5||90 with no components less than 21|
|MSc Computer Science||6.5||86 with no component less than 20|
|PhD Computer Science||6.5||86 with no component less than 20|
Join Leverage Live to score High in exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, and GRE. Offered by Leverage Edu, Leverage Live is an A-class online preparatory class for popular competitive exams. To get high scores, you need to look for proper guidance, hence, through our interactive online classes, you can have one-on-one personalised sessions.
How to Apply for Computer Science at McGill University?
A general step to step guide for applying at McGill University for UG, PG and PhD Programs:
UG and PG Programs
Step 1: Make sure you’re eligible
Check out the eligibility criteria to make sure you are eligible or not.
Step 2: Get ready to apply
Prepare your academic documents
Step 3: Submit your application
Cross-check all the details and then submit your application online to McGill University.
Step 4: Apply for an entrance scholarship
Look for scholarships, bursaries or other funding opportunities.
Step 5: Submit documents
You’ll be informed through an email to let you know when to upload supporting documents if required.
Step 1: Read the Admission Requirements
Before applying, read and make sure that you meet the admission criteria set by the university. Also, gather all the necessary supporting documentation before filling out the application form.
Step 2: Contact the Department
Before applying, you should contact the department offering your program i.e. Department of Computer Science in this case to establish a relationship. The Graduate Program Coordinator/Administrator will then provide you with important information.
Step 3: Find a supervisor
Search and view faculty member profiles to locate potential supervisors with similar research interests as yours.
Step 4: Submit your application before the deadline
Submit your application along with the required documents before the deadline.
Relevant Read: Highlights of McGill University’s Redesigned MBA Program
Mentioned below is a list of supporting documents required for the admission process at McGill University:
Cost of Studying
Here is a brief breakdown of the average tuition fee for some of the Computer Science courses at McGill University.
|Program||Tuition Fee Per Annum|
|Bachelor of Science (BSc)||CAD 29, 539 (INR 17,54,523)|
|MSc Computer Science||CAD 11,442 – CAD 14,973 (INR 6,79,703 – INR 8,73,421)|
|PhD Computer Science||CAD 10,486 (INR 6,22,913)|
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Montreal, Canada as an International Student is around CAD 808 – CAD 1000 (INR 48,000 – INR 59,000) per month. Check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator for a detailed breakdown to manage the expenses as an international student in Montreal, Canada.
To encourage students from all over the world the University and the Canadian Government have various scholarships available for students. Some of McGill University scholarships are:
|One-year Entrance Scholarship||CAD 3,000 (INR 1,78,214)|
|Dr Soo Kim Lan Entrance Scholarship||CAD 2,000 (INR 1,18,809)|
|Mccall Macbain Prestige Entrance Scholarship||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,94,047)|
|Arthur and Crystal Lau Scholarships||CAD 2,000 (INR 1,18,809)|
|McGill Faculty Major Entrance Bursaries||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,94,047)|
These scholarships are only offered to international students who are getting admitted to McGill University as full-time students.
Have you heard about the popular Leverage Edu scholarship worth INR 5,00,000? Yes, you read it right, Leverage Edu is offering an overseas scholarship worth INR 5 Lakhs exclusively for Indian students. Apply now!
Careers After Computer Science
A degree in computer science provides good job possibilities. Computers and specialised software are essential in business, science, and our daily life. Many graduates go into software development, consulting, research, or project management. Computer scientists are in high demand in many industries, including business, engineering, and medicine.
You can become a professional:
Ans. The non-refundable application fee at McGill University is CAD 156 (INR 9,000)
Ans. It takes around 24 – 48 hours to review a graduate application at McGill University.
Ans. McGill has some of the greatest Computer Science programs in the country for both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Ans. A student looking for a computer science and information system programme should choose UBC because its subject ranking is #25 while McGill is between #51 and 100. If you want to study for an MBA in Canada, McGill University is a superior option because it has higher subject rankings than UBC.
Are you planning to study Computer Science at McGill University? Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts. Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minute counselling session today.